Pelham Bay Park Virtual Tour
The Bartow–Pell Mansion & Museum
Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum. Located on Shore Road, the 19th-century building is a city and national landmark. -Designed in the federal style and made of local stone, the mansion is an elegant, restrained example of the period's architecture whereas its interior reflects the more ornate architectural detail of the Greek Revival period. The mansion's Carriage House, restored in 1993, houses an exhibit about its operation on the estate. Northwest of the mansion is the site of the famed Treaty Oak where Thomas Pell purchased the Pelham Bay area from local Native Americans in 1654. The oak was destroyed by lightening at the turn of the century, but a small iron fence encloses the site where an elm tree is now planted.