NYC Parks News for Cadman Plaza Park copyright © 2016 NYC Department of Parks and Recreation http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/newsroom.html NYC Department of Parks & Recreation en-us Sun, 29 May 2016 17:26:17 GMT NYC Parks News 25 25 http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/newsroom.html http://www.nycgovparks.org/common_images/parks_leaf_thumb.gif <![CDATA[Visit the Well at Cadman Plaza, Brooklyn]]> pressrelease21018 http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/press_releases/press_releases.php?id=21018 2016-05-29T13:26:17-04:00 <![CDATA[Cadman Plaza Is Novembers Park Of The Month]]> pressrelease19965 http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/press_releases/press_releases.php?id=19965
Just months after its recent restoration, Cadman Plaza Park is a bustling hive of activity in Downtown Brooklyn and a deserving recipient of the Park of the Month designation.

The restored Cadman Plaza Park is a jewel of Downtown Brooklyn, said Commissioner Adrian Benepe. We transformed a central lawn area that used to resemble a dustbowl and mud puddle, into a sustainable synthetic turf greenspace. Now children will be able to play on a surface that is usable year-round and is environmentally appropriate because it uses recycled materials and doesn't require the use of chemical pesticides or fossil fuels to maintain it. We also removed excess asphalt pathways and replaced them with a great deal of natural greenspace including new grass lawns, planting beds, and trees. I am grateful to Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Councilman David Yassky for allocating $3 million to revitalize this neighborhood oasis.

Cadman Plaza Park in Downtown Brooklyn was transformed thanks to an over $3 million restoration. Mayor Bloomberg allocated $2.9 million and Council Member Yassky allocated over $140,000 to reconstruct this popular neighborhood park.

Today, Cadman Plaza looks amazing but until just recently its central greenspace left something to be desired. As one of the area's few open spaces, the lawn became increasingly popular as a place for children to play. The daily beat of hundreds of feet transformed the lawn into a dust bowl - or a mud puddle when it rained.

After extensive community review, Parks installed a synthetic turf surface. Its benefits are innumerable. Turf is useable year-round, requires less maintenance, and is environmentally friendly because it uses recycled materials and does not require chemical pesticides or fertilizers.

In designing the new park, its natural grass was also increased by 20%. Surrounding the synthetic turf green space are new lawns and natural planted areas including an entrance garden, trees, and lawns.

The City of New York acquired this land in 1935, and in 1939 it was named after Reverend Dr. Samuel Parkes Cadman (1864-1936), a famed Brooklyn Congregational minister.

Park of the Month introduces some our greatest parks and greenspaces to curious New Yorkers and visitors alike. Visit www.nyc.gov/parks for more information about Cadman Plaza and an archive of past featured parks.

]]>
2016-05-29T13:26:17-04:00
<![CDATA[Cadman Plaza Shines In Downtown Brooklyn]]> dailyplant20128 http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/daily_plants/daily_plant_main.php?id=20128 On June 12, Commissioner Benepe joined Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, City Council Member David Yassky, First Deputy Commissioner of the Office of Emergency Management Calvin Drayton, District Manager of Community Board 2 Rob Perris, and children from the Brooklyn Children's Academy Preschool and the Brooklyn Friends School at the ribbon cutting ceremony for the restored Cadman Plaza Park. The Kings County American Legion presented the colors at the commencement of the ceremony.

Cadman Plaza Park in Downtown Brooklyn was transformed thanks to an over $3 million restoration. Mayor Bloomberg allocated $2.9 million and Council Member Yassky allocated over $140,000 to reconstruct this popular neighborhood park.

The restoration includes a central synthetic turf green, surrounded by an increase in naturally planted areas including an entrance garden, flowering trees, and newly planted lawns under tree groves. The improvements also include new walking paths, benches, lighting, fences and drinking fountains.

The contrast is striking. Formerly, the central lawn area resembled a dustbowl and a mud puddle. Now, children can to play on a surface that is usable year-round and is environmentally appropriate because it uses recycled materials and doesn't require the use of chemical pesticides or fossil fuels to maintain it.

Prior to the ceremony, Commissioner Benepe and Council Member Yassky tested the durability of the central synthetic turf greenspace by engaging in a spirited game of frisbee with children from the Brooklyn Friends School.

The City of New York acquired this land in 1935, and in 1939 it was named after Reverend Dr. Samuel Parkes Cadman (1864-1936), a famed Brooklyn Congregational minister.

GROW AT PARKS

Did you know that Job Opportunities for Parks employees can be accessed by phone? Dial 1-888-292-5653 to hear current vacancies, application deadlines and how to apply. The Job Hotline is updated weekly. Parks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

More opportunities to GROW AT PARKS are now posted on the intranet, internet and job hotline.

 Accountant/Financial Compliance Officer (Admin. Accountant)/Arsenal 11731
 Project Manager for Citywide Environmental Remediation (Assoc. Proj. Mgr.)/Olmsted Center 11732
 Senior Contracts Manager (Principal Admin. Assoc.)/Olmsted Center 11733
 Landscape Architect/Olmsted Center 11734

...and take another look at the following postings:
 Personnel Analyst (Principal Admin. Assoc.)/Arsenal West 11663
 Operations Analyst (Staff Analyst Trainee)/Brooklyn 11689

Remember to send cover letter and resume with the Vacancy Number to grow@parks.nyc.gov

To see what these jobs entail and for other opportunities to grow at parks, please visit the Parks Intranet. You can access the postings two ways: 1) from the top of the screen go to Divisions to Personnel to Job Postings or 2) scroll down on the left side to quick links to the red icon.


QUOTATION FOR THE DAY

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away.

Anonymous

]]>
2016-05-29T13:26:17-04:00
<![CDATA[Now Voyager: Citywide Monuments Conservation Program Conserves Columbus Sculpture In Brooklyn]]> dailyplant19913 http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/daily_plants/daily_plant_main.php?id=19913 With major support from the History Channel, the Samuel H. Kress Foundation and the Italian Historical Society of America, for the past month, Parks Citywide Monuments Conservation Program staff and interns have been conserving the monument to Christopher Columbus at Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn. The monuments journey has been almost as circuitous as that of the legendary Italian navigator and explorer himself.

Created by Emma Stebbins (1815-1882), this sculpture of Columbus was presented on February 20, 1869 by merchant and art patron Marshall O. Roberts to the Board of Commissioners of Central Park. The statue was described at that time as representing the seaman standing upon the deck of a ship alonebefore the West Continent burst into view, ships tiller in hand, as his mutinous crew have all deserted him.

Stebbins was one of a group of women American expatriate sculptors living in Rome during the mid-19th Century whom authorNathaniel Hawthornedubbed the white marmorean flock in his fictionalized account The Marble Faun. The sister of Park Board President Henry Stebbins, she is best known for creating the bronze statue of the Angel of the Waters, which serves as the central image of Central Parks Bethesda Fountain.

Scrapbooks in the Archives of American Art indicate that the Columbus sculpture may have been carved as early as 1861, and that it was displayed for several years indoors at the McGowns Pass Tavern, a roadside house of hospitality located in Central Parks northern precinct along the route of the old Albany Post Road. When the sculpture was bequeathed to the Park Board it was displayed in a protective glass house at the National Academy of Design, and its donor expressed a belief that it could be adequately waterproofed to make it suitable for an exterior setting.

There is no evidence that the work was ever installed outdoors in Central Park, and a short-lived sculpture court (at what is todays Conservatory Garden) that may have been its intended home, was subsumed by the creation of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. In 1934 the statue was discovered stored in a packing crate at the 97th Street maintenance yard in Central Park. Parks Chief Consulting Architect Aymar Embury II (1880-1966) designed a new stylized limestone pedestal consisting of a fluted column with maritime-inspired cables on an octagonal base, and the statue was installed that year in Columbus Park (formerly Mulberry Bend Park) in Chinatown.

In 1971, following the renaming for Columbus of the southern part of Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn, the statue was moved again to its current placement in front of the New York State Supreme Court Building. The Parks renaming and sculptures new placement was carried out through the efforts of John LaCorte, founder of the Italian Historical Society of America.

The conservation to be completed this week follows stone testing and analysis conducted by Monuments Program staff over the previous three summers. Though the monument was found to be structurally sound, it exhibited general surface erosion from acid rain, soiling, biological growth, failed masonry mortar joints, as well as damage and spalling of selected areas of the limestone pedestal.

The crew built an armature of nozzles that, through successive gentle mist-cleanings, removed surface soiling and algae build-up without harming the fragile stone surface. Several difficult areas of heavy soiling and gypsum crusts were treated using the Jos Rotec System, a high precision micro-abrasive cleaning technology developed specifically for the restoration of sensitive architectural and sculptural details. Following its cleaning, the sculpture has been treated with an anti-microbial product formulated for conservation, and an ethyl silicate consolidant is sprayed on to help bond the stones granular structure, limit moisture penetration, and arrest sugaring of the marbles surface.

The lower limestone portions of the monument required similarly complex and painstaking work. All of the joints were raked out by hand, and repointed with a repair compound matched for color and material. Significantly damaged areas of the stone were repaired through a combination of carving and installing of dutchmen replacements of Indiana limestone or patching with color-matched lime mortar.

Lastly, a bronze commemorative plaque at the monuments base, that had shown evidence of internal corrosion, was removed, new rear anchors were welded on, the surface repatined and coated, and the plaque reinstalled.

The work has been conducted by Monuments Conservation Technicians Michael Gallagher and Martha Seelenberger, assisted by preservation interns Andrea Buono, Laura Brown, Caleb Cordova, and Marlene Goeke.

This is the 47th sculpture conservation of the Citywide Monuments Conservation Program, a privately-financed conservation training initiative launched by Parks division of Art & Antiquities in 1997. This years major program supporters are the History Channel, Samuel H. Kress Foundation, and Karen-Weiss Foundation, and this project received an additional $10,000 grant from John Lacorte Jr. and the Italian Historical Society of America.

Written by Jonathan Kuhn

QUOTATION FOR THE DAY

For the execution of the voyage to the Indies,
I did not make use of intelligence, mathematics or maps.

Christopher Columbus
(1451 1506)

]]>
2016-05-29T13:26:17-04:00