This playground is named to honor local resident and civic activist Agnes Haywood (1907-1983). Haywood was born in New York City and graduated from Julia Richman High School. After earning a degree from the New York Academy of Business, she accepted a civil service position with the Board of Child Welfare.
In 1953, Haywood and her family moved to the Williamsbridge section of the Bronx. Haywood became active in the St. Augustine Presbyterian Church in the South Bronx, and when her children began school, she became involved with the parent-teacher association at P.S. 23 on Washington Avenue, organizing shows to raise funds for the school. Haywood went on to work with Bronx Borough President Robert Abrams and City Council Majority Leader Thomas J. Cuite, as well as Council Member Jerry L. Crispino on behalf of her community.