W 155 St and Dyckman St, Edgecombe Av & Amsterdam Av
Directions via Google Maps
Named after the High Bridge, the city's oldest standing bridge, Highbridge Park was assembled piecemeal between 1867 and the 1960s, with the bulk being acquired through condemnation from 1895 to 1901.
Although widely known for its important landmarks, the Highbridge tower and formerly mentioned bridge, the park offers natural beauty and recreational fun that serve as reason enough to visit. The park boasts the city’s first mountain biking course and a world class skate park. Open vistas and an unusual geologic makeup greet visitors who stroll the pathways north and south through the park, while pedestrians and waterside cyclists on the greenways cherish its magnificent cliffs and large rock outcroppings. The Highbridge Recreation Center and Pool have kept active New Yorkers busy since 1936, and several playgrounds and ballfields have been constructed throughout the park over the last century.
Highbridge Park is also home to a variety of native and exotic forests, and include northern red oaks, hickory, sweetgum, and tulip trees, as well as Indigenous black cherry, sassafras and hackberry trees, Virginia creeper, blackberry, raspberry, grape, and sumacs.
The re-discovery of dusky salamander, a city-rare species back in the park, a white-footed mouse which genetically evolved into a type unique to Highbridge Park, as well as the abundant presence of hawks, many kinds of birds, and snakes, illustrate the essential ecological value of the park.
Bridge the gap between you and fun; visit Highbridge Park today!
Learn More About the Long Term Plan for Highbridge Park
Through our Anchor Parks initiative, NYC Parks is investing $150 million in five large neighborhood parks across the city, including Highbridge Park. Review and download the presentations from our most recent community meeting.
Download the Master Plan for Highbridge Park.
Must See Places
The High Bridge, NYC's oldest standing bridge, connects the South Bronx and Northern Manhattan.
Directions to Highbridge Park
- NYC PARKS AND DEPUTY MAYOR ALICIA GLEN BREAK GROUND ON ANCHOR PARKS’ ASTORIA PARK PROJECT AND UNVEIL SCHEMATIC DESIGNS FOR ANCHOR PARKS CITY-WIDE PROJECTS
- NYC PARKS LAUNCHES SMART BENCH PILOT PROGRAM
- Highbridge Recreation Center Celebrates Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Of Service
- Citywide DCAS Accelerated Conservation & Efficiency Program (CNYG-2415MA1)
- Highbridge Anchor Park Reconstruction Phase I
- Highbridge Anchor Park Reconstruction Phase II
- Highbridge Bathhouse Boiler Reconstruction and Air Conditioning Construction
- Highbridge Park Comfort Station Construction