Swim with the Best: Join a Parks Swim Team
Fall 2017: October 10, 2017 – December 30, 2017
Winter/Spring 2018: January 2, 2018 – May 9, 2018
NYC Parks offers talented youths an opportunity to join a Parks swim team. Practice sessions are held at least three times a week and emphasize stroke technique, endurance and speed training, starts and turns, rules and sportsmanship.
How to Join
Team tryouts are held on an ongoing basis. Swimmers train for High Point Meets and the Borough Cup Championship. Youths between the ages of 6 and 18 who can swim 50 meters freestyle in good form may try out for the team. Swimming 50 meters does not guarantee placement on the team. All participants are required to submit a completed application and a copy of their birth certificate on the day of their try out. To renew your swim team membership or to try out as a new swimmer for a team, please complete the online application. Due to limited slots, swimmers who participated in the 2016 – 2017 Indoor Swim Season will be given the opportunity to rejoin the team by completing their online registration beginning Friday, September 15th and not later than Friday, September 29, 2017. Beginning Saturday, September 30th, all applications will be considered ”new applicants“ including the previous year’s swim team members. Registration for swimmers who participated in the 2016 – 2017 Indoor Swim Season will open on September 15 at 12:00 p.m. As of September 30, registration will be open to all applicants on a first-come, first-served basis and will end on February 13, 2018.
There are currently no programs available for registration at this time.
All Parks Swim Team members must comply with the following requirements:
- All swim team participants must be members at an NYC Parks recreation center.
- All swim team participants must complete a team application (signed by a parent/guardian) and provide a copy of their birth certificate to verify age on the first day of practice.
Parks Swim Team members must also comply with the following rules:
- Swim team members must participated in two out of three training sessions per week.
- *Flushing Meadows Aquacades swim team members are required to participate in 3 out of 4 practices every week.
- Swimmers must participate in all High Point Swim Meets. They must participate in at least two High Point Swim Meets to qualify for participation in the Borough Cup Swimming Championship.
- They must arrive on time for training sessions.
- They must follow the instructions of the coach and team officials.
- They must purchase and wear an official Parks swim team suit for all competitions.
- They must comply with all facility/pool and competition rules and regulations, and observe safety guidelines at all times.