NYC Parks Lifeguard Qualifying Test
Thank you for your interest in becoming an NYC Parks Lifeguard! All potential lifeguards must pass the Lifeguard Qualifying Test, a series of vision and swim exams.
There are no lifeguard qualifying test dates available for registration at this time. Qualifying tests for the following beach and pool season start this winter. Please use our Lifeguard Recruitment Contact Form to sign up to be notified when future test dates become available.
Qualifying Test Requirements
To qualify, you must:
- Be at least 16 years of age by the start of employment.
- Have at least 20/30 vision in one eye and 20/40 in the other - without corrective lenses.
Glasses and contact lenses may not be worn during the eye exam.
- Be able to swim 50 yards in 35 seconds or less, with proper form.
Health and Safety Requirements
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we've put safety protocols in place to keep participants and staff safe.
- Proof of a full COVID-19 vaccine regimen of a vaccine authorized by the World Health Organization, such as two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is required.
- Face coverings must be worn at all times when not in the water, and social distancing is required.
- A temperature check and health screening questionnaire will be required to enter the facility.
To reduce capacity, testing groups and appointments will be limited. You are welcome to take the test multiple times. To accommodate other applicants, please register for only one upcoming appointment at a time. Please register for an appointment below.
For more information, please visit the Become an NYC Parks Lifeguard page.
There are currently no programs available for registration at this time.