Learn to Swim
Knowing how to swim improves your health, fitness, and safety. To help teach New Yorkers how to swim, NYC Parks is offering free swimming lessons for people of all ages at our outdoor pools this summer.
We offer summer Learn to Swim classes for tots (1 1/2 - 5 years old), children (6 – 17 years old), and adults (18 years old or older). We also offer Adult Water Aerobics classes, which provide a great shallow water workout to keep cool during the summer.
A recreation center membership is not required to participate in our summer Learn to Swim program and Adult Water Aerobics programs.
- Session 1: July 6, 2016 – July 20, 2016
Registration opens at 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday, June 14 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, June 26.
- Session 2: July 22, 2016 – August 5, 2016
Registration opens at 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday, June 14 and ends at noon on Monday July 11.
- Session 3: August 9, 2016 – August 19, 2016
Registration opens at 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday, June 14 and ends at noon on Monday August 1.
- Advance Session: August 22, 2016 – August 26, 2016
Registration opens at 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday, June 14 and ends at noon on Monday August 15.
About Our Registration
Registration for all Learn to Swim classes and Adult Water Aerobics classes are held through a free online lottery using a secure site. You must have a valid email address to register. If you do not have access to a computer, please reach out to a nearby Recreation Center, and ask about availability at its Computer Resource Center.
Lottery and Program Rules
- You or your child may register for up to three sessions. You or your child may only register for one class per session. Registering more than once for a session will automatically disqualify you or your child from the lottery.
- We will email the results of the lottery to you by Tuesday, June 28 for Session 1, Wednesday, July 13 for Session 2, Wednesday, August 3 for Session 3, and Wednesday, August 17 for the Advance Session.
- Lottery selections are non-transferable. If you or your child has won a spot, you cannot give this spot to another person, even if it's another family member.
- If you or your children are not selected in the online lottery, you will be placed on a waiting list for this program, and will be emailed if a slot becomes available. We are not able to tell you your current place on the waiting list.
- The age of a participant will be determined as of the first day of class. If your child wins a spot in the Learn to Swim program, a parent must show a copy of a birth certificate or an equivalent document to verify the child’s age on the first day of class. Your child will not be able to participate without proof of age.
- Program participants will be replaced by a waitlist candidate if they miss two consecutive classes. Classes are held each day while in session. Please choose a class below to find specific class dates and times.
Learn to Swim and Water Aerobics Sites
About the Classes
Toddler Classes: 1 1/2 to 5 years Old
Teach your tot to be ready to learn to swim! In this class, we'll get your tot used to the water, with the help of one of our aquatic specialists.
Parents or guardians must accompany tots in the water at all class sessions. There must be a ratio of one parent or guardian for each tot. Parents or guardians help their kids get familiar with the water, become comfortable floating on front and back, and to be able to control their breath by blowing bubbles or submerging under water.
Your tot must be at least 1 1/2 years of age on the first day of class in order to participate in this program. You must bring a copy of your tot's birth certificate or an equivalent document on the first day of class. Your documents will be returned after verification is completed.
Child Classes: 6 – 17 Years Old
Your child will be placed in one of two levels of classes. A water test will be held on the first day of class to determine your child's level.
- Level I: Children at this level learn basic aquatic skills. They'll learn how to safely get into and leave the water, how to control their breath by blowing bubbles, how to float and kick on front and back and move through the water. They'll also learn how to stay safe around the water and what to do in case of an emergency.
- Level II: Children at this level learn how to move their arms and legs together in a swimming motion. We'll work on teaching children to swim without assistance, and improve on skills that they learned in Level I. They'll be able to understand dangerous water conditions and how to assist a swimmer in a water emergency.
Your child must be at least 6 years of age on the first day of class in order to participate in the children's program. You must bring a copy of your child's birth certificate or an equivalent document on the first day of class. Documents will be returned after verification is completed.
Adult Classes: ages 18+
Adults must be at the beginner level in order to participate in Learn to Swim classes. Adults learn basic level swimming and safety skills, including the development of breath control, floating, gliding, kicking on front and back, rotary breathing, arm strokes on front and back, safety skills, and entries and exits.
Advanced Swim Classes: ages 6 – 17 years old
Advanced swim classes will be held Mondays through Fridays from August 22 through August 26 for any advanced-level swimmer who wants to improve their skills in the water by learning elementary backstroke, breaststroke, back crawl, butterfly, and advanced safety skills.
Adult Water Aerobics: ages 18+
Enjoy a workout led by trained aquatics professionals. Keep cool in the summer heat while reducing risk of muscle or joint injury with these great aerobic exercises. You do not need to know how to swim to participate in water aerobics exercises. All water aerobics classes will be held in the shallow end of the pool. Water aerobics classes will take place on the following dates
For additional information, please contact the Citywide Aquatics Office at (718) 760-6969, extension 0.