Full Learn to Swim Registration Information
About Learn to Swim and Water Aerobics
The Learn to Swim program offers free swim lessons for toddlers (1½-5), children (6-17) and adults at our outdoor pools. NYC Parks offers three 2 to 2 ½ week sessions of swim instruction during the outdoor pool season.
Information for Children and Tots
Types of Classes
Toddler Classes: 1 1/2 to 5 years old
Teach your tot to be ready to learn to swim! In this class, we’ll get your tot used to the water, with the help of one of our Aquatic Specialists. Parents or guardians help their kids get familiar with the water, become comfortable floating on front and back, and be able to control their breath by blowing bubbles or submerging under water. You must bring a copy of your tot’s birth certificate or an equivalent document on the day of the first class, and must accompany your tot in the water at all class sessions. There must be one parent or guardian for each tot at each session. Your tot must be 1 ½ years of age on the first day of class to participate.
Child Classes : 6 – 17 Years Old
There are two levels of children's Learn to Swim classes available this summer.
- Level I: Children at this level are learning basic aquatic skills. They’ll learn how to safely get into and leave the water, how to control their breath by blowing bubbles, how to float and kick on front and back and move through the water. They’ll also learn how to stay safe around the water, and what to do in case of an emergency.
- Level II: Children at this level are learning how to move their arms and legs together in a swimming motion. We’ll work on teaching children to swim without assistance, and improve on skills that they learned in Level I. They’ll be able to understand dangerous water conditions, and how to assist a swimmer in a water emergency.
You must bring a copy of your child’s birth certificate or an equivalent document on the day of the first class. Your child must be 6 years of age on the first day of class in order to participate in the children’s program.
Class Dates and Details
There are three sessions in the summer Learn to Swim program with each session lasting for approximately 2 to 2 ½ weeks. Classes for children and tots will be held on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. (starting time varies by pool).
Classes for children and tots will be held on the following dates:
- Session I: July 9 to July 23
- Session II: July 25 to August 8
- Session III: August 12 to August 23.
If your child wins a spot in the Learn to Swim program, you must submit a copy of their birth certificate to make sure of their age on the first day of class. Your child will not be able to participate without proof of their age. You can register your children for one, two, or all three sessions. When you register, make sure that your children are available for classes. Your child will be replaced by a wait listed candidate if you miss two consecutive classes.
Information for Adults
Types of Classes
This summer, in addition to the Learn to Swim program for adults, we will also be offering an Adult Water Aerobics program at 6 sites in five boroughs in the evenings, 5 days a week, Monday to Friday.
Adult Learn to Swim (ages 18+)
Adults must be at the beginner level in order to participate in Learn to Swim classes. Adults learn basic level swimming and safety skills including the development of breath control, floating, gliding, kicking on front and back, rotary breathing, arm strokes on front and back, safety skills and entries and exits.
Adult Water Aerobics (ages 18+)
Anyone 18 or over can enjoy a great aerobic workout! Water reduces risk of muscle or joint injury while keeping the body cool in the summer heat. You do not need to know how to swim in order to participate in water aerobics exercises. All water aerobics classes will be held in the shallow end of the pool.
Class Dates and Details
There are three sessions in the summer Learn to Swim program with each session lasting for approximately 2 to 2 ½ weeks.
Learn to Swim and Water Aerobics Classes for adults will be held on the following dates:
- Session I: July 9 to July 24
- Session II: July 25 to August 8 and
- Session III: August 9 to August 23.
You can register for any or all three of the sessions. When you register, make sure that you are available for classes. You will be replaced by a wait listed candidate if you miss two consecutive classes.
How to Register
Registration for the summer begins at 4:00 a.m. on Friday, June 14 for all Learn to Swim programs. The registration will be conducted by an online lottery. There is no advantage given to anyone who signs up earlier in the lottery.
Registration for all sessions begin on Friday, June 14. Session I registration will end Friday, June 28 at 11:59 p.m., Session II registration will end on Monday, July 15 at 11:59 p.m. and Session III registration will end on Monday, August 5 at 11:59 p.m.
- The online application asks for basic contact information about each participant (e.g., name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth). Your information is secure.
- You must have a valid email address to register.
- You will receive an email to confirm your registration, and another once the lottery results are in. Please check your spam folder for emails about the lottery.
- The same person cannot enter the lottery twice. Multiple applications for the same participant will disqualify all their applications from the lottery. This includes multiple applications for the same person at different locations.
- Parents should submit an application for each child, but more than one application for the same child disqualifies that child from the lottery. Please enter siblings separately. This allows all children to have an equal chance in the lottery.
- Lottery selections are non-transferable. If you or your child has won a spot, you cannot give this spot to another person even if it’s another family member.
Participants must be the right age to attend the class. Eligibility is determined by the age of the participant on the first day of class. If your child is younger than 6, you should sign your child up for the tot program.
Online Registration Assistance
If you need assistance using a computer, visit a recreation center's Computer Resource Center during open hours. Staff members will be glad to help you enter the lottery from June 14– August 5.
- Bronx: St. Mary’s and St. James
- Brooklyn: St. John’s, McCarren, Sunset Park
- Manhattan: Jackie Robinson, Hansborough, Recreation Center 54, Chelsea, Tony Dapolito, Alfred E. Smith
- Staten Island: Greenbelt
- Queens: Al Oerter
After the Lottery
Lottery winners are chosen at random. Applicants who are not chosen will be placed on a waiting list. You will be notified by email by Wednesday, July 3 for the first session, by Thursday, July 18 for the second session, and by Thursday, August 8 for the third session.
Winning slots are non-transferable. The waiting list will be used to replace anyone who drops out of the program. If spots open up, members of the waiting list will be called when a spot becomes available. Since you are chosen from the waitlist randomly only after a spot opens up, we will not be able to provide you or your child’s place on the waitlist.
After the lottery is drawn, any remaining spots will be available on a first come, first served basis through a walk-in registration at the pool. Walk-in registration for Session I will be held on Wednesday, July 8, for Session II on Wednesday, July 24 and for Session III on Friday, August 9.
Two consecutive absences without notifying the Citywide Aquatics office will result in the person being replaced by a waitlisted candidate.