20 Ave. bet. 37 St. and 38 St.
Directions via Google Maps
Woodtree Playground is one of many New York parks built under the supervision of Robert Moses (1888-1981), a New York City Parks commissioner and a legendary figure in New York City politics. Moses, who served as Commissioner from 1934 to 1960, supervised the construction of 255 New York City playgrounds. Prior to 1934, the only parklands serving the Steinway neighborhood were Astoria Park and Rainey Park. This site was acquired by condemnation on April 27, 1950, and placed under Parks jurisdiction on August 23, 1950.