West 186th Street Basketball Court
W. 186 St., Audubon Ave., St Nicholas Ave.
Directions via Google Maps
Once the site of useless rubble, this small urban lot has been transformed into much needed recreational space.
The West 186th Street Basketball Court lies between Audubon and Saint Nicholas Avenues in Washington Heights, a neighborhood bounded by Dyckman Street, the Harlem River, 155th Street, and the Hudson River. During the American Revolution (1775-1783), this area housed several colonial forts, including the neighborhood’s namesake, Fort Washington. In 1889, the Washington Bridge was completed over the Harlem River, linking Manhattan and the Bronx. The area was still largely rural when the Broadway subway line extended through the southern portion of the neighborhood in 1904 and subsequently extended northward during 1906.