Genesee Park, like the avenue to its south, takes its name from the Iroquois phrase “Zon-esche-o” which means “beautiful valley.” The Genesee River Valley, between Lake Seneca and Lake Erie, marked the western boundary of the Iroquois nations. The unofficial designation was mapped when the area became a new county in 1802. Genesee County has since been subdivided, but the name still figures prominently throughout a large part of upstate New York. Many companies and streets throughout New York State bear the name of Genesee. A development company called Eltingville Acres laid out Staten Island’s Genesee Avenue.