Heberton Ave., Park Ave., Bennett St., Vreeland St.
Directions via Google Maps
Veterans Park is Staten Island’s oldest park. It was laid out in 1836 when Port Richmond’s village streets were mapped and was reported to be the village green or common. Thirty years later, the town was incorporated as Port Richmond, and in 1898, the year of City’s consolidation, this park was named Port Richmond Park.
Port Richmond, which had also been known as Ryer's Landing, Mersereau's Landing, and Decker's Landing, was a well-populated port town in the mid-19th century. Lumber and coal yards clustered around the waterfront, and freight and passenger boats originating in New Brunswick stopped off in Port Richmond on the way to New York City. Port Richmond also provided a departure point for the ferry route to Bergen Point, now know as Bayonne, New Jersey. The ferry service was discontinued when the Bayonne Bridge, which is visible from the park, opened in 1931.