Belle Harbor Memorial Circle
Click image for larger view
- Location: Rockaway Beach Boulevard, 120th-121st Street
- Description: 33 plaques on limestone plinths, trees
- Materials: Bronze, deer isle granite
- Dimensions: H: 22" W: 26"
- Dedicated: 1948
- Donor: Belle Harbor Garden Club
- Inscription: THE TREES IN THIS CIRCLE ARE DEDICATED / TO THOSE WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE / IN WORLD WAR II / 1941-1945 / ARTHUR A. AMRON --- GEORGE P. HUMMEL --- JULES D. SCHLICHTER / FRANCIS T. ACTON --- AUSTIN W. KELLY JR. --- DONALD R. SCHNEIDER / LEONARD A. BENJAMIN --- JAMES P. KENNY --- LOUIS SEIDMAN / HAROLD J. BLANTHORN --- JOHN M. LEWIS JR. --- MURRAY SEIFF / CORNELIUS M. CALPIN --- LEONARD KRAM --- DONALD W. SELZ / JOHN E. CORRIGAN --- THOMAS MCARDLE --- HERBERT SPRINGER / RICHARD H. DAVIS --- BERNARD MEEHAN --- JOSEPH K. THIER / HENRY J. DEHNERT --- JAMES F. O'BRIEN --- ALVIN S. WEISS / ALAN EVANS --- VINCENT W. O'KEEFE --- BERNARD H. WIENER / ARNOLD P. FOX --- HAROLD W. ROBERTS --- GEORGE WILLIAMS / HERBERT HOFFENBERG --- GEORGE P. ROLLY --- ARTHUR ZIEGLER / BELLE HARBOR GARDEN CLUB /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143