Thomas Jefferson Park
This steel and bronze piece by artist L. Brower Hatcher (b. 1942) depicts an 18-foot-high stainless steel tree trunk topped by a large globe made from steel, brass, and bronze. The piece was installed in 1995 at the northeast corner of the park behind the Thomas Jefferson Recreation Center. The globe features bronze images of birds, fish, reptiles and toys modeled by children of River East School and the Thomas Jefferson Park Recreation Center. The Spanish title means “Tree of Hope,” reflecting the sculptor’s sentiment towards the community youth who played such an active role at artist-run workshops during the design of the piece.
Hatcher’s work is featured in New York at the Chase Manhattan Bank building. Other pieces of his are in a variety of U.S. cities including Philadelphia, Phoenix, Roanoke, Tampa, Birmingham, Madison, and Houston. The piece was sponsored by the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs’ Percent for Art program.
El Arbol de Esperanza Details
- Location: 1st Ave & 114th St.; Behind Recreation Center and pool
- Sculptor: L. Brower Hatcher
- Architect: Miceli Kulik Williams
- Description: Tree trunk figure, globe constructed of a transparent matrix of coated rods with fittings at connecting points
- Materials: Tree trunk figure--stainless steel (polished), globe---stainless steel, brass, bronze
- Dimensions: Trunk H: 12'; Globe H: 12' Diameter: 7'6"
- Cast: ca. 1995
- Dedicated: July 17, 1995
- Fabricator: L. Brower Hatcher
- Donor: Percent for Art, Department of Cultural Affairs
Directions to Thomas Jefferson Park
Know Before You Go
Thomas Jefferson Recreation Center
We are experiencing a temporary loss of regular phone service. Please use 646.983.0655 or 646.300.2956 to contact the center. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- NYC PARKS JOINS GLOBAL APPAREL RETAILER UNIQLO FOR NEW PUBLIC ART CELEBRATION
- NYC PARKS ANNOUNCES SLATE OF SPRING AND SUMMER PUBLIC ART EXHIBITIONS AROUND THE CITY
- NEW BILINGUAL FITNESS SERIES GIVES SPANISH SPEAKERS ACCESS TO FREE FITNESS CLASSES THROUGH SHAPE UP NYC