The Cyclone

W. 10 St. between Surf Ave. and Public Beach

Brooklyn

Directions via Google Maps

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

What was here before?

This site is named for the Cyclone roller coaster, one of Coney Island’s most famous attractions. Covering 2,640 feet of track in a minute and fifty seconds, the Cyclone carries 24 passengers and reaches speeds of 60 mph. Its biggest drop is 85 feet at a descent angle of 58.6 degrees.

The Cyclone was constructed in 1927 by Harry C. Baker and Vernon Keenan and is one of the country’s few surviving vintage wood-track rollercoasters, with modern building codes making it irreplaceable. The ride’s distinctive frame, sound, and speed were renowned, with famous aviator Charles Lindbergh commenting, “A ride on the Cyclone is a greater thrill than flying an airplane at top speed.”

How did this become a park?

Read More

Park Information

Directions to The Cyclone

Was this information helpful?