The neighborhood of Stapleton was founded in 1836 and named for William J. Staples (1807-1883). Along with Minthorne Tompkins (1807-1881), Staples purchased the land in the northeast corner of Staten Island from the Vanderbilt family. They decided to name the new development Stapleton because Tompkins’ name was already preserved in nearby Tompkinsville (named for Minthorne’s father Daniel Tompkins (1774-1825), Governor of New York and the sixth Vice President of the United States).
Directions to Stapleton Playground
- Stapleton Playground Reconstruction
- Staten Island General Site Work (RG-1013M)
- Staten Island General Site Work (RG-315MA)