Louis Simeone Park
This park honors Corona community activist Louis F. Simeone (1920-1984). Simeone was raised in Corona, Queens, attending St. Leo’s Parochial School, Laughlin High School, and St. John’s University, earning a degree in accounting. Soon after graduating St. John’s, he opened his own accounting and insurance firm in Corona, the Simeone Agency. Active in many civic organizations, Simeone was a member of the Lions Club, Community Board 4, and Community School Board 24, both of which he chaired.
During his years of service on Community Board 4, Simeone was active in the fight for increased senior housing in the neighborhood of Corona. It was during his tenure that the Community Board and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) collaborated to arrange a maintenance agreement for this park property. At the time, HPD had jurisdiction over the property, and they reached an agreement by which the Transport Workers Union (TWU), an organization created to protect transit workers from unfair wages and grueling work conditions, would care for and maintain the park. As a result this site became known as TWU Park for a time. On December 19, 1997, the City assigned the property to NYC Parks. Parks Commissioner Stern renamed the park Louis Simeone Park in 1998 to honor the late civic activist.
In 2017 – 2018, Louis Simeone Park was reconstructed with new pavement, drainage, benches, game tables, fencing, fitness equipment and plantings throughout the park. This site is part of Parks' Community Parks Initiative—a multi-faceted program to invest in under-resourced public parks and increase the accessibility and quality of parks throughout the five boroughs.