Roger Morris Park
Morris-Jumel MansionLocation: 65 Jumel Terrace at 160th Street
Phone: (212) 923-8008
Description: Manhattan's oldest surviving house, the Morris-Jumel Mansion, atop Harlem Heights, is a monument to colonial grandeur. Built about 1765 as a summer retreat for British colonel Roger Morris, its distinctive style was very advanced for its time. The land on which it sits, "Mount Morris," commanded views of downtown Manhattan as well as of New Jersey and Westchester. During the Revolutionary War, the home was occupied by George Washington, as well as British and Hessian commanders, each drawn by the mansion's military vantage point. After the war, the mansion became Calumet Hall, a popular tavern along the Albany Post Road. In 1810, Stephen Jumel, a rich French merchant, and his wife Eliza bought the property. One year after her husband's death in 1832, Eliza married former Vice President Aaron Burr in the mansion's front parlor, but the union lasted only six months. The City bought the house from later owners, the Earles, in 1903, and it opened as a public museum the next year.
Directions to Roger Morris Park
Know Before You Go
Roger Morris Park will be open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Morris-Jumel Mansion is open Thursdays and Fridays from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Historic Houses