Rockaway Beach and Boardwalk
View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
- Location: North and south sides of Ocean Promenade at Beach 116th Street entrance
- Sculptor: Ann Evans; Mary Nell Hawke
- Description: Three-wall mosaic with plaque on west wall
- Materials: 145,000 Italian glass and ceramic tiles set into concrete
- Dimensions: First wall 3'4" x 3'; Second wall 1'8" x 3'; third wall 1'8" x 2'2"
- Cast: ca. 1981
- Dedicated: October 22, 1981
- Fabricator: Cityarts Workshop Mosaic Designs
- Donor: United States Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Inscription: Plaque on the west wall:
MOSAIC DESIGNS BY ANN EVANS 1981 / PRODUCED BY CITYARTS WORKSHOP INC. / WITH A GRANT FROM THE NEW YORK CITY / DEPARTMENT OF CULTURAL AFFAIRS COMMUNITY / ARTS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM AND THE / OFFICE OF NEIGHBORHOOD ECONOMIC / DEVELOPMENT, O.E.D. FUNDED BY / THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT COMMUNITY / DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT PROGRAM. / MOSAICS PRESENTED IN COOPERATION WITH THE NEW YORK CITY DEPARTMENT OF PARKS/ AND RECREATION AND THE CHAMBER OF / COMMERCE OF THE ROCKAWAYS.
Directions to Rockaway Beach and Boardwalk
- NYC PARKS AND CITY PARKS FOUNDATION TO BRING NYC’S FAMED SUMMERSTAGE CONCERT SERIES TO ROCKAWAY BEACH WATERFRONT FOR THE FIRST TIME
- NEW YORK CITY’S 14 MILES OF PUBLIC BEACHES OPEN THIS WEEKEND
- ELEVEN-BLOCK SECTION OF ROCKAWAY BEACH WILL BE CLOSED THIS SUMMER, DUE TO SAFETY CONCERNS