View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
Battle of Harlem Heights Marker
- Location: 121st Street and Riverside Drive; in grassy triangle south of Grant's Tomb
- Description: Plaque on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: Plaque H: 1'6" W: 2'; Plinth H: 1'7½" W: 2'1½"
- Cast: ca. 1961
- Dedicated: May 16, 1961
- Donor: Daughters of the Defenders of the Republic, U.S.A.
- Inscription: BATTLE OF HARLEM HEIGHTS / SEPTEMBER 16 - 1776 / IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF / THE BRAVE SOLDIERS / OF NEW YORK, NEW JERSEY, / CONNECTICUT, MASSACHUSETTS, / RHODE ISLAND, PENNSYLVANIA,/ MARYLAND AND VIRGINIA / WHO UNDER / GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON / FOUGHT AND DIED ON THIS SITE / FOR LIBERTY / IN THEIR COUNTRY'S STRUGGLE / AGAINST BRITISH TYRANNY. /---/ DEDICATED BY THE / DAUGHTERS OF THE DEFENDERS OF THE REPUBLIC, U.S.A. / [emblem of D.D.R.] / AMANDA SHAW HIRSCH / FOUNDER & PRESIDENT-GENERAL / MAY 16, 1961
Directions to Riverside Park
Know Before You Go
The 79th Street Boat Basin marina is currently closed. No vessel dockage, moorage, anchorage or launch services are available. The marina will be dredged and reconstructed to modern codes and standards. The marina is anticipated to reopen in 2025.
Related inquiries may be sent to email@example.com
- NYC PARKS TO TEMPORARILY REROUTE CYCLISTS IN SECTION OF RIVERSIDE PARK ON WEEKNIGHTS
- NYC PARKS RE/NAMES 16 SITES IN HONOR OF THE BLACK EXPERIENCE IN NYC
- NYC PARKS: $90 MILLION RESILIENCY AND ACCESS PROJECT COMING TO RIVERSIDE PARK MARINA