- Location: 121st Street and Riverside Drive; in grassy triangle south of Grant's Tomb
- Description: Plaque on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: Plaque H: 1'6" W: 2'; Plinth H: 1'7½" W: 2'1½"
- Cast: ca. 1961
- Dedicated: May 16, 1961
- Donor: Daughters of the Defenders of the Republic, U.S.A.
- Inscription: BATTLE OF HARLEM HEIGHTS / SEPTEMBER 16 - 1776 / IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF / THE BRAVE SOLDIERS / OF NEW YORK, NEW JERSEY, / CONNECTICUT, MASSACHUSETTS, / RHODE ISLAND, PENNSYLVANIA,/ MARYLAND AND VIRGINIA / WHO UNDER / GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON / FOUGHT AND DIED ON THIS SITE / FOR LIBERTY / IN THEIR COUNTRY'S STRUGGLE / AGAINST BRITISH TYRANNY. /---/ DEDICATED BY THE / DAUGHTERS OF THE DEFENDERS OF THE REPUBLIC, U.S.A. / [emblem of D.D.R.] / AMANDA SHAW HIRSCH / FOUNDER & PRESIDENT-GENERAL / MAY 16, 1961
Directions to Riverside Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
The northernmost A-dock at the 79th Street Boat Basin is currently closed to public access for structural enhancements. The dock will be further supported with non-wood pilings and a new wave screen.
Anticipated Completion: Spring 2016
Riverside Park (72nd Street)
The kayak launch site at 72nd Street in Riverside Park is closed for the season. Please visit The New York City Water Trail page to find other kayak launches.
Riverside Park Weather
- NYC Parks Celebrates Joan Of Arc Statue Centennial—First Ever Statue Of A Woman Erected In An NYC Park
- NYC Parks Issues Request For Proposals For Outdoor Café At The 79Th Street Rotunda In Riverside Park
- NYC Parks Continues Sandy Recovery And Breaks Ground On Reconstruction Of Historic 79Th Street Boat Basin A-dock