- Location: 121st Street and Riverside Drive; in grassy triangle south of Grant's Tomb
- Description: Plaque on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: Plaque H: 1'6" W: 2'; Plinth H: 1'7½" W: 2'1½"
- Cast: ca. 1961
- Dedicated: May 16, 1961
- Donor: Daughters of the Defenders of the Republic, U.S.A.
- Inscription: BATTLE OF HARLEM HEIGHTS / SEPTEMBER 16 - 1776 / IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF / THE BRAVE SOLDIERS / OF NEW YORK, NEW JERSEY, / CONNECTICUT, MASSACHUSETTS, / RHODE ISLAND, PENNSYLVANIA,/ MARYLAND AND VIRGINIA / WHO UNDER / GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON / FOUGHT AND DIED ON THIS SITE / FOR LIBERTY / IN THEIR COUNTRY'S STRUGGLE / AGAINST BRITISH TYRANNY. /---/ DEDICATED BY THE / DAUGHTERS OF THE DEFENDERS OF THE REPUBLIC, U.S.A. / [emblem of D.D.R.] / AMANDA SHAW HIRSCH / FOUNDER & PRESIDENT-GENERAL / MAY 16, 1961
Directions to Riverside Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
NYC Parks has removed slides in this park due to a manufacturer recall. The manufacture is currently working on an improved design and redesigned slides will be installed as soon as possible.
West 79th Street Boat Basin
Attention Boaters: Due to repairs to an underwater high voltage cable there are currently no transient moorings available at the Boat Basin. Please contact the Dockmasters office at 212-496-2105 or VHF Ch09 for more information and alternatives. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Anticipated Completion: Fall 2017
- NYC PARKS ANNOUNCES SLATE OF SPRING AND SUMMER PUBLIC ART EXHIBITIONS AROUND THE CITY
- NYC PARKS COMPLETES RECONSTRUCTION OF HISTORIC 79th STREET BOAT BASIN A-DOCK
- NYC Parks Celebrates Joan Of Arc Statue Centennial—First Ever Statue Of A Woman Erected In An NYC Park