View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
- Location: 121st Street and Riverside Drive; in grassy triangle south of Grant's Tomb
- Description: Tablet on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: H: 24" W: 18"
- Dedicated: 1950
- Donor: Daughters of the Defenders of the Republic
- Inscription: CHAPLAINS MEMORIAL / THESE LONDON PLANE TREES / WERE PLANTED IN MEMORY OF / FOUR CHAPLAINS OF US ARMY / REV. GEORGE L. FOX, CHC. / RABBI ALEXANDER D. GOODE, CHC. / REV. CLARK V. POLING, CHC. / REV. FATHER / JOHN P. WASHINGTON, CHC. / WHO AFTER GIVING THEIR LIFE BELTS TO / THEIR FELLOW SERVICE MEN LOCKED ARMS / AND PRAYING WENT DOWN TOGETHER / WITH THE TRANSPORT DORCHESTER SUNK BY / A GERMAN SUBMARINE FEBRUARY 3, 1943 / PRESENTED TO THE CITY OF NEW YORK / BY DAUGHTERS OF THE DEFENDERS OF THE REPUBLIC USA / NOVEMBER 5, 1950.
Directions to Riverside Park
Know Before You Go
West 79th Street Boat Basin
West 79th Street will close for reconstruction and dredging as of November 2021. The project will repair storm damage, add capacity, and make the site more resilient to climate change. The site is anticipated to re-open in 2025.
- NYC PARKS TO TEMPORARILY REROUTE CYCLISTS IN SECTION OF RIVERSIDE PARK ON WEEKNIGHTS
- NYC PARKS RE/NAMES 16 SITES IN HONOR OF THE BLACK EXPERIENCE IN NYC
- NYC PARKS: $90 MILLION RESILIENCY AND ACCESS PROJECT COMING TO RIVERSIDE PARK MARINA