- Location: 121st Street and Riverside Drive; in grassy triangle south of Grant's Tomb
- Description: Tablet on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: H: 24" W: 18"
- Dedicated: 1950
- Donor: Daughters of the Defenders of the Republic
- Inscription: CHAPLAINS MEMORIAL / THESE LONDON PLANE TREES / WERE PLANTED IN MEMORY OF / FOUR CHAPLAINS OF US ARMY / REV. GEORGE L. FOX, CHC. / RABBI ALEXANDER D. GOODE, CHC. / REV. CLARK V. POLING, CHC. / REV. FATHER / JOHN P. WASHINGTON, CHC. / WHO AFTER GIVING THEIR LIFE BELTS TO / THEIR FELLOW SERVICE MEN LOCKED ARMS / AND PRAYING WENT DOWN TOGETHER / WITH THE TRANSPORT DORCHESTER SUNK BY / A GERMAN SUBMARINE FEBRUARY 3, 1943 / PRESENTED TO THE CITY OF NEW YORK / BY DAUGHTERS OF THE DEFENDERS OF THE REPUBLIC USA / NOVEMBER 5, 1950.
Directions to Riverside Park
Know Before You Go
Riverside Park (72nd Street)
The kayak launch site at 72nd Street in Riverside Park is closed for the season. Please visit The New York City Water Trail page to find other kayak launches.
Riverside Park Weather
- NYC PARKS COMPLETES RECONSTRUCTION OF HISTORIC 79th STREET BOAT BASIN A-DOCK
- NYC Parks Celebrates Joan Of Arc Statue Centennial—First Ever Statue Of A Woman Erected In An NYC Park
- NYC Parks Issues Request For Proposals For Outdoor Café At The 79Th Street Rotunda In Riverside Park