- Location: 121st Street and Riverside Drive; in grassy triangle south of Grant's Tomb
- Description: Tablet on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: H: 24" W: 18"
- Dedicated: 1950
- Donor: Daughters of the Defenders of the Republic
- Inscription: CHAPLAINS MEMORIAL / THESE LONDON PLANE TREES / WERE PLANTED IN MEMORY OF / FOUR CHAPLAINS OF US ARMY / REV. GEORGE L. FOX, CHC. / RABBI ALEXANDER D. GOODE, CHC. / REV. CLARK V. POLING, CHC. / REV. FATHER / JOHN P. WASHINGTON, CHC. / WHO AFTER GIVING THEIR LIFE BELTS TO / THEIR FELLOW SERVICE MEN LOCKED ARMS / AND PRAYING WENT DOWN TOGETHER / WITH THE TRANSPORT DORCHESTER SUNK BY / A GERMAN SUBMARINE FEBRUARY 3, 1943 / PRESENTED TO THE CITY OF NEW YORK / BY DAUGHTERS OF THE DEFENDERS OF THE REPUBLIC USA / NOVEMBER 5, 1950.
Directions to Riverside Park
Know Before You Go
NYC Parks has removed slides in this park due to a manufacturer recall. The manufacture is currently working on an improved design and redesigned slides will be installed as soon as possible.
- NYC PARKS COMPLETES RECONSTRUCTION OF HISTORIC 79th STREET BOAT BASIN A-DOCK
- NYC Parks Celebrates Joan Of Arc Statue Centennial—First Ever Statue Of A Woman Erected In An NYC Park
- NYC Parks Issues Request For Proposals For Outdoor Café At The 79Th Street Rotunda In Riverside Park