View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
- Location: 121st Street and Riverside Drive; in grassy triangle south of Grant's Tomb
- Description: Tablet on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: H: 24" W: 18"
- Dedicated: 1950
- Donor: Daughters of the Defenders of the Republic
- Inscription: CHAPLAINS MEMORIAL / THESE LONDON PLANE TREES / WERE PLANTED IN MEMORY OF / FOUR CHAPLAINS OF US ARMY / REV. GEORGE L. FOX, CHC. / RABBI ALEXANDER D. GOODE, CHC. / REV. CLARK V. POLING, CHC. / REV. FATHER / JOHN P. WASHINGTON, CHC. / WHO AFTER GIVING THEIR LIFE BELTS TO / THEIR FELLOW SERVICE MEN LOCKED ARMS / AND PRAYING WENT DOWN TOGETHER / WITH THE TRANSPORT DORCHESTER SUNK BY / A GERMAN SUBMARINE FEBRUARY 3, 1943 / PRESENTED TO THE CITY OF NEW YORK / BY DAUGHTERS OF THE DEFENDERS OF THE REPUBLIC USA / NOVEMBER 5, 1950.
Directions to Riverside Park
Know Before You Go
Riverside Skate Park
Riverside Skate Park is closed to reconstruct the existing skate park with new skate elements, fencing, benches, picnic tables, and landscaping. Please visit the Capital Project Tracker page for updates on the project.
Anticipated Completion: Spring 2020
- NYC PARKS’ CITYWIDE MONUMENTS CONSERVATION PROGRAM KICKS OFF ITS 21st YEAR
- NYC Parks To Temporarily Close Riverside Park South Bike Path—59-70 Streets—Due To Planned Construction
- NYC PARKS ANNOUNCES SLATE OF SPRING AND SUMMER PUBLIC ART EXHIBITIONS AROUND THE CITY