This piece by artist Robert J. Cassilly, Jr. is an interactive play sculpture featuring 14 hippopotami, two of which function as a spray fountain. The fiberglass hippos are part of the spray fountain, and children are invited to play on and around the sculpture. The Playground Project, Inc., a non-profit group that maintains the playground, commissioned the sculptures as part of the 1993 renovation of Riverside Park’s 91st Street Playground, which was subsequently renamed Hippopotamus Playground. Cassilly has designed numerous other pieces of animal art, especially for the St. Louis Zoo, in the city in which he lives.
Hippopotamus Fountain Details
- Location: 91st Street Playground
- Sculptor: Robert J. Cassilly, Jr.
- Architect: Mark Morison
- Description: Fourteen figures (reduced scale), two of which are spray fountains
- Materials: Fiberglass reinforced polyester resin (silica gel coating); ears--vinyl ester resin with Kevlar fiber
- Dimensions: H: 3'4" W: 2'7" D: 9'
- Cast: ca. 1993
- Dedicated: April 25, 1993
- Fabricator: Robert J. Cassilly, Jr.
- Donor: The Playground Project, Inc.
Directions to Riverside Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
West 79th Street Boat Basin
Due to repairs to an underwater high voltage cable there are currently no transient moorings available at the Boat Basin. Please contact the Dockmasters office at 212-496-2105 or VHF Ch09 for more information and alternatives. We apologize for any inconvenience. We expect all moorings to be restored in August.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2017
NYC Parks has removed slides in this park due to a manufacturer recall. The manufacture is currently working on an improved design and redesigned slides will be installed as soon as possible.
- NYC PARKS ANNOUNCES SLATE OF SPRING AND SUMMER PUBLIC ART EXHIBITIONS AROUND THE CITY
- NYC PARKS COMPLETES RECONSTRUCTION OF HISTORIC 79th STREET BOAT BASIN A-DOCK
- NYC Parks Celebrates Joan Of Arc Statue Centennial—First Ever Statue Of A Woman Erected In An NYC Park