View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
Soldiers and Sailors Monument
- Location: Riverside Drive at West 89th Street
- Sculptor: Paul E. Duboy
- Architect: Charles & Arthur Stoughton
- Description: Ornamental circular temple
- Materials: East Dorset Vermont marble (see memo)
- Dimensions: H: 100' D: 50'
- Dedicated: May 30, 1902
- Fabricator: Cullen and Dwyer
- Donor: Act of Legislature
- Inscription: Plaque: ERECTED BY / THE CITY OF NEW YORK / TO COMMEMORATE THE VALOR / OF THE / SOLDIERS AND SAILORS / WHO IN THE CIVIL WAR / FOUGHT IN DEFENSE OF THE UNION /
Plaque: SOLDIERS' AND SAILORS' MEMORIAL MONUMENT / OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK / COMMISSIONERS, / ROBERT A. VAN WYCK, MAYOR. / GEORGE C. CLAUSEN, PRESIDENT, PARK BOARD. / JOHN W. GOFF, RECORDER. BIRD S. COLER, COMPTROLLER. / JOSEPH A. GOULDEN, CHAIRMAN, MEMORIAL COMMITTEE. / GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC. / ARCHITECTS, / CHARLES W. STOUGHTON, ARTHUR A. STOUGHTON, PAUL E. DUBOY. / BUILDERS, CULLEN AND DWYER. /
On a high pillar standing southeast of the structure, inscribed on all 4 sides.
South Side: N.Y. VOLUNTEER/REGIMENTS/ACTIVELY ENGAGED/SEVENTY SECOND/SEVENTY THIRD/SEVENTY FOURTH/SEVENTY NINTH/EIGHTY SECOND/EIGHTY THIRD./
West Side: FARRAGUT/NEW ORLEANS-FAIR OAKS/MALVERN HILL/HARPERS FERRY-ANTIETAM/IUKA-CORINTH/FREDERICKSBURG-MURFREESBORO/CHARLESON/JACKSON-CHANCELLORSVILLE
North Side: SICKLES/WINSLOW-KELLY/BARLOW-THOMAN/CAMERON-SCOTT/MURPHY MCMAHON/WARREN-MOESCH/HUSTON-STETSON/WINTHROP
East Side: GRANT/FORT SUMTER/BULL RUN-HATTERAS INLET/BALLS BLUFF/PORT ROYAL-FORT HENRY/ROANOKE ISLAND/HAMPTON ROADS-SHILOH/ISLAND NO. 10.
On a high pillar standing southwest of the structure, inscribed on all 4 sides.
Southside: N-Y- VOLUNTEER/REGIMENTS/ACTIVELY ENGAGED/FIFTH-SEVENTH/FORTY SECOND/FIFTY NINTH/SIXTY FIRST/SIXTY NINTH/SEVENTY FIRST
Eastside: SHERMAN/GETTYSBURG=VICKSBURG/PORT HUDSON/CHICKAMAUGA/CHATANOOGA/FORT PILLOW/WILDERNESS-SPOTTSYLVANIA/COLD HARBOR/KENESAW MOUNTAIN-ATLANTA.
Westside: PORTER/ CHAMBERSBURG-MOBILE BAY/WINCHESTER/CEDAR CREEK-FORT FISHER/WILMINGTON/BENTONVILLE-FIVE FORKS/PETERSBURG/RICHMOND-APPOMATTOX
Directions to Riverside Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 3 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
Riverside Skate Park
Riverside Skate Park is closed to reconstruct the existing skate park with new skate elements, fencing, benches, picnic tables, and landscaping. Please visit the Capital Project Tracker page for updates on the project.
Anticipated Completion: Spring 2020
West 79th Street Boat Basin
There are service changes at this facility. Transient and seasonal moorings will not be available for the 2020 season
West 79th Street Boat Basin
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, there are service changes at this marina.
Marinas, boatyards, and boat launches are open for personal use of vessels only. Group activities, social gatherings, vessel charters, and rentals are prohibited. Vessel servicing, fueling, and pumpout stations are open. Please maintain strict social distancing of at least six feet and clean and sanitize your vessels after each use.
Also, transient and seasonal moorings will not be available for the 2020 season.
- RIVERSIDE PARK TO RECEIVE $11.5 MILLION IN MAYORAL FUNDING TO ADDRESS 1930s ERA DRAINAGE SYSTEMS
- NYC PARKS’ CITYWIDE MONUMENTS CONSERVATION PROGRAM KICKS OFF ITS 21st YEAR
- NYC Parks To Temporarily Close Riverside Park South Bike Path—59-70 Streets—Due To Planned Construction