Hippo Playground is one of the smaller parks within Riverside Park. Calvert Vaux (1824-1895) and Samuel Parsons (1819-1906) laid out the southern end of Riverside Park in 1872 to enhance Frederick Law Olmstead’s (1822-1903) design for Riverside Drive. The City constructed a number of monuments on the property, the best known being Grant’s Tomb on 125th Street. Robert Moses significantly expanded the park in 1937. In 1980 it was recognized as a scenic landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. Today the park extends from 72nd Street to 158th Street. It is home to 14 playgrounds, a marina on 79th Street, as well as a series of soccer fields, baseball diamonds, basketball courts and dog runs.
The property that is now Hippo Playground, on 91st Street, was acquired in 1937 as part of the Riverside Park expansion. The site was developed later that year and was known as the 91st Street Playground. In 1993, ‘The Playground Project’, a neighborhood organization, raised $120,000 to fund the construction of hippopotamus art. Designed by Bob Cassily, the sculptures were installed in the middle of the playground. The park was appropriately renamed Hippopotamus Playground. For the 1993 renovation, Council Member Ronnie Eldridge contributed $67,000. In 1997, she provided $100,000 in additional funding for a new jungle gym and swings. Today Hippo Playground offers a comfort station and park house, swings with safety surfacing, wooden play equipment and slides, green metal play equipment, a spray shower, picnic tables, benches, sand pit, and a drinking fountain. The large hill on the east side of the playground is a popular sledding area for neighborhood children during the winter. Honey locusts (Gleditsia triacanthos) give shade and dappled light to the site.
Hippopotamus Playground is maintained by Parks and The Playground Project. This non-profit group, formed in 1990, is dedicated to the preservation of the park. The group allocates much of its funds to provide park attendants for the playgrounds.
Directions to Riverside Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 3 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
Cherry Walk will be temporarily closed until further notice. Out of an abundance of caution, and due to planned shoreline and path reconstruction work, we will temporarily close the Cherry Walk path in Riverside Park from W. 100th to W. 125th streets. The closure will begin Monday, September 28, 2020. Visitors will be directed to exit the greenway at 100th St. to access alternative paths and local streets. Cyclists may re-enter the greenway at West 153rd Street and Riverside Drive via the Herman “Denny” Farrell Pedestrian Bridge. Pedestrians may re-enter via steps at Tiemann Place that connect Riverside Drive to St. Clair Place. Read more.
West 79th Street Boat Basin
There are service changes at this facility. Transient and seasonal moorings will not be available for the 2020 season
West 79th Street Boat Basin
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, there are service changes at this marina.
Marinas, boatyards, and boat launches are open for personal use of vessels only. Group activities, social gatherings, vessel charters, and rentals are prohibited. Vessel servicing, fueling, and pumpout stations are open. Please maintain strict social distancing of at least six feet and clean and sanitize your vessels after each use.
Also, transient and seasonal moorings will not be available for the 2020 season.
- NYC PARKS TO TEMPORARILY CLOSE RIVERSIDE PARK CHERRY WALK—MANHATTAN
- RIVERSIDE PARK TO RECEIVE $11.5 MILLION IN MAYORAL FUNDING TO ADDRESS 1930s ERA DRAINAGE SYSTEMS
- NYC PARKS’ CITYWIDE MONUMENTS CONSERVATION PROGRAM KICKS OFF ITS 21st YEAR