Beach 12 St., Redfern Ave.
Directions via Google Maps
This playground and the adjacent housing project take their name from Far Rockaway’s Redfern Avenue. The playground and the housing project opened in 1953.
The origins of the name Rockaway are closely related to the language of the Delaware and Chippewa Native Americans. Linguistic experts recognize both “Reckonwacky,” meaning “the place of our own people,” and “Reckanawahaha,” meaning “the place of laughing waters,” as the area’s indigenous names. Following the region’s European colonization during the 17th century, the present name was derived from these meanings. Other interpretations include “lekau,” meaning sand, and “lechauwaak,” for fork or branch. All interpretations reflect the historic and geographic traits of the peninsula.