NYC Resources311Office of the Mayor

Official Website of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

Real Good Park

Real Good Park

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

Rego Park, where this property is located, would seem to derive its nomenclature from a word in another language, or perhaps a historical figure. This is not the case. “Rego” is in fact a contraction of the name of the construction company which developed the area in 1920 - the Real Good Construction Company. “Re” comes from Real, “Go” comes from Good, hence Rego Park.

Prior to development, Chinese farmers had formed an exclusive enclave in this area, growing produce intended strictly for sale in Chinatown. The Real Good Construction Company bought out these farms and built one-family row houses, multi-family homes, and apartment buildings. In 1923, developers Henry Schloh and Charles Hausmann named the area. Between 1928 and 1935, improvements in transportation included the construction of a railway station and the addition of subway service to Union Turnpike. Originally, the neighborhood attracted Irish, German, and Italian immigrants. From 1970 on, the neighborhood’s demographic shifted to Russian, Chinese, and Jewish residents, while enclaves of Indians, Iranians, Koreans, Colombians, and Romanian immigrants have added diversity to the community.

The City acquired the property—bounded by Horace Harding Expressway, 62nd Avenue, 99th, and 102nd Streets—on August 30, 1954 and on the same day placed the area under Parks jurisdiction. The Horace Harding Expressway was included as part of the deal. Harding (1863 – 1929) was a finance magnate who used his influence to promote the development of Long Island’s roadways. As a Long Island landowner, he lent strong support to then-Long Island State Parks Commissioner Robert Moses’ “great parkway plan.” Developed as early as 1924, the plan proposed a system of parks interconnected by scenic parkways. Harding also supported the construction of what would become the Long Island Expressway. In 1929, NY 25D was named Horace Harding Expressway in recognition of his support.

In June 1999, Real Good Park received a $65,000 renovation sponsored by Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani. The park now contains a spray shower, playground equipment, swings, three basketball courts, new safety surfacing, and the shade of London planetrees. London planes are known for their ability to survive harsh urban environments.

Park Information

Directions to Real Good Park

Real Good Park Weather

  • Wed
    Slight Chance Light Rain and Patchy Fog
  • Thu
    Mostly Sunny
  • Fri
    Partly Sunny
  • Sat
    Mostly Cloudy

7-day forecast

Was this information helpful?