This park at the intersection of Courtlandt Avenue, East 161st, and East 162nd Streets in the Bronx neighborhood of Melrose takes its name from the old railroad station.
A Scottish surveyor named the Bronx neighborhood of Melrose as a tribute to Sir Walter Scott’s (1771-1832) popular work Melrose Abbey. This part of the southeastern Bronx was part of the land granted to the Morris family by the British crown in the 17th century. The family began selling sections of their property in the 1850s, primarily to German immigrant families seeking residences beyond the confines of Manhattan. The introduction of rapid transit in 1908 transformed Melrose from an isolated suburb into a bustling urban area. Throughout the early 1900s Melrose became one of the largest commercial and entertainment centers of the Bronx.