QUEENSBRIDGE PARK ESPLANADE NAMED IN HONOR OF LOCAL PARK ADVOCATE ELIZABETH MCQUEENFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, July 22, 2016
NYC Parks Commissioner Mitchell J. Silver, FAICP, today joined Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer, Assembly Member Catherine Nolan and members of The Friends of Queensbridge Park to celebrate the legacy of long-time park advocate Elizabeth McQueen by officially naming the park’s promenade in her honor.
Elizabeth McQueen founded The Friends of Queensbridge Park and led the group for over 18 years, organizing volunteer events and helping to beautify the park. She passed away in February 2016 at the age of 83. Members of Ms. McQueen’s family were also present at the event to honor her.
“Queensbridge Park has undergone a number of significant renovations over the years, thanks to strong support from both local partners and elected officials,” said Commissioner Silver. “For nearly two decades, Elizabeth McQueen was a tireless advocate for this park, seeing to it that Queensbridge got the investment and care that it deserves. We are grateful for her spirit and her commitment, and proud to name this esplanade in her honor so that her legacy may live on for years to come.”
Ms. McQueen and The Friends of Queensbridge Park were influential in advocating for the reconstruction of the Queensbridge Park seawall and esplanade to both protect and beautify the park. The $6.6 million project was completed in 2014, with funding from Council Member Van Bramer, Queens Borough President Melinda Katz, Mayor de Blasio, and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
Queensbridge Park is home to a variety of facilities, including baseball fields, a soccer-football combination field, basketball, volleyball and handball courts, a playground with see-saws, swings and jungle gyms, a wading pool, a comfort station, picnic areas, and sitting areas. The park has also become a destination for concerts and outdoor family fun. From July 26th through July 31st, the City Parks Foundation is sponsoring a number of free performances in the park:
• 7/26: Hip hop groups Black Moon and Smif-N-Wessun
• 7/27: Jazz vocalist Diane Reeves
• 7/28: R&B artist Lyfe Jennings
• 7/29: The Nuyorican Poets Café featuring Paolo Javier and Maria Lisella
• 7/30: The Stefanie Batten Bland with Burnt Sugar the Arkestra Chamber / Master Dance Class with Karisma Jay
• 7/31: Marc Cary: The Harlem Sessions / Joseph Webb: Dancing Buddhas / WBGO Kids Jazz featuring Brianna Thomas and The Jazz Travelers
Directions to Queensbridge Park
- NYC PARKS CELEBRATES NEW $6.25 MILLION GREEN FIELD HOUSE AT QUEENSBRIDGE PARK
- NYC PARKS AND COUNCIL MEMBER VAN BRAMER BID FAREWELL TO OLD QUEENSBRIDGE FIELD HOUSE AND BREAK GROUND ON NEW GREEN FACILITY
- QUEENSBRIDGE PARK ESPLANADE NAMED IN HONOR OF LOCAL PARK ADVOCATE ELIZABETH MCQUEEN