Queens Farm Park
Queens County Farm MuseumLocation: 73-50 Little Neck Parkway
Phone: (718) 347-FARM
Description: At the Queens County Farm Museum, people may visit a working farm surrounding the restored Jacob Adriance Farmhouse. The rich glacial soil of Flushing first attracted European settlers in the 17th century, and family farms characterized the area from then until the 1920s. The earliest records of farm ownership by the Adriance family on this site date from 1697. The third-generation Jacob Adriance built his Dutch-style farmhouse in 1772. The home was doubled in size by Peter Cox between 1833 and 1840. The Creedmoor State Hospital obtained the property in 1927, and for decades the area remained agricultural and was tilled by hospital patients; the house was used by hospital staff until 1973. Two years later, the Colonial Farmhouse Restoration Society of Bellerose opened the Queens County Farm Museum. Today, its 7.5 acres of croplands and orchards are being used to demonstrate the history of agriculture in New York.