Hart St. to Pulaski St. between Throop Ave. and Marcus Garvey Blvd.
Directions via Google Maps
Located on Sumner Avenue between Hart and Pulaski Streets, this playground is one of two parklands in New York City (the other is in the Bronx) that honors Casimir Pulaski (1748-1779), a Polish patriot and military commander in the American Revolution. The playground, the nearby Pulaski School, or Public School 304, and Pulaski Street all pay tribute to the military leader.
Pulaski was born to a noble family in the region of Podolia in present day Poland. In 1768, the twenty-year old Pulaski joined with his father to form the Confederation of Bar, a group of Polish nobles dedicated to opposing Russian influence in Poland. Though unsuccessful in the rebellion against the Russian-dominated King of Poland, Stanislaus II (1764-1795), Pulaski gained international military fame as a leader and strategist. After the Confederation was suppressed by Russian troops in 1772, he escaped first to Prussia, in present northwest Germany, and then to France.