Located in the South Bronx neighborhood of East Tremont, this playground, like the adjoining thoroughfare takes its name from the impressive view (or prospect) of the East River that can been seen from the southern part of Prospect Avenue.
Formerly known as Upper Morrisania for the Morris family who owned the land, the first postmaster of Tremont, Hiram Tarbox, suggested a change in name in order to avoid having mail confused between Upper Morrisania and Morrisania. He though of the replacement name Tremont, which comes from the three peaks located in the area: Fairmount, Mount Hope and Mount Eden.
Clinton Avenue, which runs adjacent to the playground, honors De Witt Clinton (1769-1828). Clinton served as Mayor of the City of New York from 1803 to 1815, with his years twice briefly interrupted while he served in the New York senate. He also twice served as Governor of the State of New York (1817-22, 1824-28).