Back to Monuments List
Click image for larger view
- Location: Lookout Hill
- Architect: Stanford White
- Description: Large corinthian column with globe at top
- Materials: Granite, bronze, marble
- Dimensions: Column H: 12' Diameter 19" - 26"; Capital H: 29" W: 29" D: 22 1/2"; Globe Diameter 24"
- Dedicated: 1895
- Donor: Maryland Sociey, Sons of the American Revolution
- Inscription: Marble pedestal front:
IN HONOR OF / MARYLAND'S FOUR HUNDRED / WHO ON THIS BATTLE-FIELD / AUGUST 27TH 1776 / SAVED THE AMERICAN ARMY /
Marble pedestal back:
GOOD GOD! WHAT BRAVE FELLOWS / I MUST THIS DAY LOSE / GEORGE
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143