Back to Monuments List
Battle Pass Historic Marker
Click image for larger view
- Location: West side of East Drive, north of entrance to Prospect Park Wildlife Center
- Description: Plaque mounted on boulder
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: H: 1'4¼" W: 2'5"
- Cast: 1991
- Dedicated: 1929; rededicated ca. 1991
- Foundry: Original plaque--Pitbladdo Monument Works, Inc., 242 25th Street, Brooklyn, NY; replacement plaque--U.S. Bronze, Hyde Park, NY
- Donor: Battle Pass Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
- Inscription: HISTORIC MARKER OF BATTLE PASS / AT THIS POINT THE OLD PORTE ROAD OR VALLEY GROVE ROAD / INTERSECTED THE LINE OF HILLS SEPARATING FLATBUSH FROM / BROOKLYN AND GOWANUS. IN THE BATTLE OF LONG ISLAND, AUGUST 27, 1776, THIS PASS WAS BARRICADED IN FRONT BY DONGAN OAK / AND OTHER OBSTRUCTIONS. IT WAS PROTECTED BY ARTILLERY ON / REDOUT HILL JUST TO THE EAST. HERE THE AMERICAN FORCES / STOOD THEIR GROUND AGAINST THE HESSIANS COMING FROM THE / SOUTH TILL FLANKED FROM THE RIVER BY A BODY OF BRITISH TROOPS. / GENERAL SULLIVAN WAS CAPTURED, BUT MOST OF HIS TROOPS / RETREATED ACROSS WHAT IS NOW THE LONG MEADOW, JOINING / THE MARYLAND AND OTHER TROOPS FOR THE FINAL RESISTANCE / NEAR THE OLD STONE HOUSE OF GOWANUS. /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143