Back to Monuments List
Prospect Park War Memorial
Click image for larger view
- Location: South of Flower Garden
- Sculptor: Augustus Lukeman
- Architect: Arthur D. Pickering
- Description: Group of two figures on pedestal before a high, arced wall; two benches; altar; six large plaques; one small plaque; paving
- Materials: Group and plaques--bronze; Pedestal and wall--Milford pink granite
- Dimensions: Wall H: 18' W: 35'
- Cast: 1921
- Dedicated: June 26, 1921
- Donor: William H. Todd
- Inscription: 1) above bench, left: "MEN AND WOMEN OF BROOKLYN WHO DIED / IN THE WORLD WAR / MCMXIV - MCMXVIII"
2) above bench, right: "[...] FOR LIBERTY / [...] PEACE / [...] COUNTRY"
3) six large plaques: 2,800 names
4) small plaque, rear: "PRESENTED BY / WILLIAM H. TODD / AND ACCEPTED FOR THE / CITY OF NEW YORK BY / MAYOR / JOHN F. HYLAN / AND / JOHN N. HARMAN / COMMISSIONER OF PARKS / A.D. MCMXX1"
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143