Celebrate Brooklyn! Presents The Soul Rebels/Jon Cleary & The Absolute Monster Gentlemen/Lost Bayou
Saturday, June 7, 2014
7:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
A rousing triple bill that celebrates the many sounds of Louisiana. New Orleans’ The Soul Rebels, have been called “the missing link between Public Enemy and Louis Armstrong." (Village Voice) Strong words, but well deserved by this powerhouse eight-piece ensemble, cooked up by its founders Derrick Moss and Lumar LeBlanc to play the radio hits they loved in the classic brass band tradition they grew up on.
Jon Cleary is another Crescent City dreamer made good. The UK-born pianist has been living in and soaking up the musical legacy of NoLa for decades, and his current band is a mainstay at Jazz Fest and legendary venues like Tipitina’s and the Maple Leaf Bar. “Cleary can be an absolute monster on his own,” writes David Fricke of Rolling Stone, “but Cleary’s full combo R&B is as broad, deep and roiling as the Mississippi river, the combined swinging product of local keyboard tradition, Cleary’s vocal-songwriting flair for moody Seventies soul and the spunky-meters roll of his Gentlemen.”
Rounding it out are the incredible Lost Bayou Ramblers, from Lafayette, bringing a modern edge to traditional Cajun music. Their blazing brand of foot-stomping zydeco landed them an opening spot on this spring’s Arcade Fire tour.
Directions to Prospect Park
Prospect Park Weather
- NYC Parks and AT&T Expand Free Public Wi-Fi and Solar Mobile Charging in Parks and at Beaches Citywide
- NYC PARKS REVEALS PARKS WITHOUT BORDERS EIGHT SHOWCASE PARKS
- NYC Parks Joins Japanese Delegates For Ceremonial Planting Of Cherry Blossom Tree Seedling In Prospect Park
- Prospect Park Alliance Thursday Corps
- Shape Up NYC: Cardio & Body Strengthening
- Lola Star's Dreamland Roller Disco Party: Flashdance
- Medicinal Plants Hike (Light)
- Prospect Park Alliance Monday Eastside Revival