The origin of the name Prall’s Island, located in the Arthur Kill, is uncertain. It was named either for Arent Jansen Van Naerden Prall (1698-?), who purchased the island after arriving from Amsterdam in the mid-1700s, or for Abraham Prall (1706-1775), a prominent Staten Island farmer. It was originally known as Dongan’s Island, after New York Governor Thomas Dongan (1634-1715), who took the office in 1688. The name was later corrupted to Duncan’s Island. Prall’s Island did not take hold until the late 19th century.