Pontiac Playground is located north of P.S. 5 and east of Pontiac Place in the Port Morris neighborhood of the Bronx. Since the late 17th century, this area was part of Morrisania, the vast estate owned by the Morris family. During the 18th century, their holdings grew to a total of 1,920 acres--or most of the southwestern corner of the modern day Bronx. The family established a seaport on the East River, and the surrounding neighborhood became known as Port Morris. By the middle of the 19th century, most of the Morris estate had been divided into smaller parcels. The rugged, rocky hills of upland Port Morris made a dramatic setting for elegant private homes and for St. Mary’s Park, one of the six original parks acquired for the Bronx in 1888.