Arts, Culture & Fun: City Birds by Elana Amity
Wednesday, March 22, 2017
9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
This event repeats every week on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday between 3/4/2017 and 5/9/2017.
Visit Poe Park Visitor Center for our new exhibit City Birds by Elana Amity. The exhibit will be on view at the Poe Park Visitor Center on Tuedays through Saturdays from March 4 through March 29. There will be an opening reception with a Q&A session on Saturday, March 11.
About City Birds
Raised in the Bronx, Elana Amity visited Poe Park numerous times. As a young child she roamed in and around the cottage, and as a teenager she and her friends danced while a band played in the gazebo. Edgar Allan Poe’s poem "The Raven" was brought to life by her father who loved reciting poetry. Ironically, Poe completed his final revision of "The Raven" while living on 85 Amity Street, now West Third Street, in New York’s Greenwich Village. Amity’s current work includes numerous paintings and monotypes of birds found in New York City’s parks, sidewalks, and window sills. Her birch bark paintings reflect images and textures found in natural settings. Her illustrated poems include the works of Wallace Steven, Edgar Allan Poe, William Wordsworth, and Wilfred Owen.
New York City artist, Elana Amity, began her career as a teacher and freelance illustrator. She served on the board of the Society of Illustrators for many years. In 1984 she joined the faculty of LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts where she taught illustration, painting and drawing. In 2010 she opened a studio in Manhattan’s Garment District. Her paintings, drawings and prints capture both fleeting and enduring moments oflife in cities, nature and beyond. Her work has been exhibited in galleries and public spaces at home and abroad.
- March 11: Opening Reception
- March 18: Artist Tour and Workshop
- March 25: Elana Amity Book Presentation: The Raven
- Angel Hernandez from The Bronx County Historical Society Lecture: Poe and The Raven
Admission to the related events, including the opening reception, is free but space is limited. To RSVP, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (718) 367-3657.
Image: Elana Amity, Cardinal with Sparrows, 2015, Acrylic on Canvas - www.elanaamity.com
Directions to Poe Park
- January Events At Poe Park
- Greener Pastures: Celebrating 125 Years Of Bronx Parks
- Comic Book Art Exhibition On Display At Poe Park Visitor Center
- Fifth Annual Whimsical Winter Wonder... Exhibition
- CANCELLED: Up-Cycle-to-Art: Decorative Arts
- CANCELLED: Communication and Socialization: Get-Together for Adults with Intellectual Disabilities
- Whimsical Winter Wonder Fantasy Photo Shoot
- Kids Le Petit Art