Playground One Twenty Five CXXV
Morningside Ave., W. 123 St. and W. 124 St.
Directions via Google Maps
This playground is named for 125th Street, which bounds the property to the north, and for the adjacent P.S. 125, also known as the Ralph Bunche School. A major approach to the Triborough Bridge, 125th Street is the only cross-town commercial passage above midtown Manhattan and below Washington Heights. It lies along what was once known as the Harlem Valley; before development, the Valley was a narrow strip of land that ran below Harlem Heights, connecting Harlem Plain, to the east, with the Hudson River. This path has played an integral role in Harlem’s development since 1658, when Peter Stuyvesant (1610-1672) founded the village of Nieuw Haarlem on what is now 125th Street and First Avenue.