Frank W. Plaut (1884-1949), a native of Flushing, Queens, was active in the civic affairs of his neighborhood and also donated the land for this park. Plaut grew up in a house near the present location of St. Mary’s Cemetery. After his marriage to Katherine Siebert in 1917 and the later birth of their daughter Dorothea, Plaut and his family moved to Long Island City. In 1926, the family relocated to a new home in Auburndale, but finally settled just a few blocks away at 43-12 170th Street. Plaut is remembered as an outgoing and spirited citizen who was an active member of the Flushing Democratic Club.