Pelham Bay Park

The Carriage House at Bartow-Pell Mansion

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

An architectural and historical treasure, the Carriage House at Bartow-Pell is the only unaltered masonry structure of its type and age still standing in New York City. The building dates to the original construction of the mansion around 1842. It housed the hayloft; storage for coaches, sleighs, and other vehicles used on the estate; and a small tack room that doubled as a home for the stableboy.

Three stories tall, the Carriage House was built into an artificially created hillside giving the appearance of a smaller one-and-a-half-story building when viewed from the front. It remains the only extant outbuilding of the once large Bartow estate, and complements the nearby Bartow-Pell Mansion in architectural scale and composition. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1977, the building was restored in 1993 and is open to the public from April through October.

Directions to Pelham Bay Park

Was this information helpful?