Linden Blvd., Osborn St., Rockaway Ave., Hegeman Ave.
Directions via Google Maps
Osborn Playground, named after the nearby street, is located in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn.
In 1865, Charles S. Brown purchased a section of farmland in this area and built 250 frame houses on the site, hoping to lure the working class from lower Manhattan and western sections of Brooklyn to his modestly-priced homes. Brownsville developed slowly primarily because it was difficult to get to. It remained essentially a farming village until 1887, when a Jewish real estate agent, Aaron Kaplan, purchased local lots, built tenement housing, and began to draw significant numbers of Jews seeking to escape the density of the Lower East Side. With the opening of the Fulton Street elevated railway (1889), followed by that of the Williamsburg Bridge (1903), the population of Brownsville ballooned, and by 1910 the neighborhood was crowded with tenements.
We're kicking of the NYC Parks Brooklyn Senior Games with a torch relay in Brooklyn. Seniors and coming-of-age...