One Room Schoolhouse Park
Astoria Blvd. bet. 90 St. and 89 St.
Directions via Google Maps
Queens’ last one-room schoolhouse occupied this site from the time of its construction in 1879 until its demolition to make room for a public park in 1934. The park was named under a local law introduced by Council Members John D. Sabini and Helen M. Marshall, approved by the City Council, and signed into law by Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani in 1996.
Compulsory school was first required by legislation in New York State in 1874, only five years before the one room schoolhouse opened. Last called P.S. 10, the school had also been known as the Bowery Bay School, for a school that was established in Steinway in 1734, and as the Frogtown School. The latter name was also applied to a poor community located in a swampy area to the north of Astoria Boulevard. The area was eventually filled in and redeveloped.