This playground, located at 92nd Street and 56th Avenue, takes its name from one of the oldest European settlements in Queens. Eight years after the abandonment of the Maspeth colony in 1644, English colonists moved inland to what is now Queens Boulevard and Broadway in 1652. The land for the new colony was formally obtained from three Native Americans named Rocero, Westcoe, and Pomwamken by English Governor Richard Nicolls in 1666 for 71 pounds and 9 shillings. Although the Dutch called this location Middelburgh, the English settlers described it as the "new town"—as opposed to the first colony at Maspeth. When the English system of towns and counties was introduced in 1683, the community was designated as Newtown.