Mt. Carmel Triangle

Union Ave., Meeker Ave., Jackson St.


Directions via Google Maps

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

This triangle, bounded by Union and Meeker Avenues and Jackson Street, honors Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, located at 275 North Eighth Street. Italian immigrants founded Mount Carmel Church in 1887, which was originally located at the corner of North Eighth Street and Union Avenue. Mount Carmel Church takes its name from the Roman Catholic order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (popularly known as the Carmelites), which was founded in 1150 by French hermit St. Berthold on the Israeli mountain ridge of the same name. The ridge, described in the Bible as an area of great holiness and natural beauty, has been important throughout religious history.

Read More

Park Information

Directions to Mt. Carmel Triangle

Was this information helpful?