This playground is located on the northeast corner of Morningside Park, facing 123rd Street, for which it is named. The site lies within the area settled following the Commissioners’ Plan of 1811. New York City Mayor De Witt Clinton (1769-1828) created the commission, which was charged with planning the orderly development of Manhattan north of Houston Street. The planners agreed on a system of rectangular blocks, extending from 14th Street through Washington Heights, designed to maximize the efficiency of construction and travel throughout Manhattan. Known as the grid system, the plan arranged 12 north-south avenues perpendicular to 155 east-west cross streets.
The plan provided for parks to be located on 53rd, 66th, 77th, and 120th Streets. The Commissioners’ Plan of 1811 astutely predicted the exponential residential growth that would occur later in the 19th century. However, the plan, as realized, failed to include the park acreage necessary to provide adequate recreation for the growing population. In 1867 Andrew Haswell Green, Commissioner and Comptroller of Central Park, recommended that a park be located in Morningside Heights. He argued that it would be “very expensive” and “very inconvenient” to extend the Manhattan street grid over the area’s severe topography.
The City of New York gained jurisdiction over this property in 1870, and employed architect Jacob Wrey Mould and landscape architects Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux (co-designers of Central and Prospect Parks) to transform its raw topography into a place for public recreation. The name Morningside Park is a reference to the park’s location on the eastern-facing side of the nearly unbroken ridge of Manhattan schist, which extends from the Upper West Side to Inwood Hill and into the Bronx. It is from this side of the cliff that the sunrise can be viewed in the morning.
The 1887 plan for Morningside Park, as envisioned by landscape architects Olmsted and Vaux, designated three entrances to the park from 123rd Street, one at each corner and another in the middle. The two easternmost entrances led to meandering paths that convened in a trail circling the field that once dominated the northeastern region of the park. In a renovation initiated by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses (1888-1981), the two trails were straightened, dividing the field into three smaller areas. A playground was constructed on the eastern section, the land on which Playground 123 stands today. It was named Morningside Playground and opened on November 20, 1935.
Renamed Playground 123 in 2000, this site received several renovations including the most recent in 2013 which added trees, castle-themed play structures, adaptive play equipment, and engaging spray showers. The basketball courts were resurfaced and new acrylic backboards were installed. Benches and game and picnic tables provide the neighborhood’s families with opportunities to connect in a verdant space within a historic Harlem park.
Directions to Morningside Park
Morningside Park Weather
- NYC Parks Street Games In East Harlem Brings Back Classic Games Of The 60’S And 70’S
- Funds Allocated To Restore Marcus Garvey Park’s Historic Fire Watchtower - Ribbon is Cut on Morningside Park's 123rd Street Playground
- Wangari Maathai Honored With Tree Planting