Middle Village Playground
79 St. bet. 68 Rd. and 69 Ave.
Directions via Google Maps
Located on 79th Street between 68th Road and 69th Avenue in west central Queens, this playground takes its name from the surrounding neighborhood of Middle Village. Eliot Avenue, Woodhaven Boulevard, Cooper Avenue, the Long Island Railroad, and the Lutheran Cemetery bound Middle Village. A small portion of the neighborhood, between Woodhaven Boulevard and Richmond Hill, was developed during the 1820s as a crossroad between the rapidly emerging townships of Kew Gardens and Forest Hills. The name Middle Village refers to the neighborhood’s position between the two townships.
During the 1840s, famine and political unrest in Europe precipitated massive immigration to the United States. The flat land and fertile soil of Middle Village, and the industrial boom in nearby Newtown and Maspeth, were attractive to immigrants. The population grew, and in 1850 the community adopted the name Middle Village to distinguish it from Maspeth.