Maurice A FitzGerald Playground

Maurice A. Fitzgerald Playground

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

This playground is named in honor of dedicated politician and public servant Maurice A. FitzGerald (1897-1951). FitzGerald was born in Brooklyn and attended Boys’ High School and the New Lots Evening High School. He began his career as a civil servant at the age of fourteen, working as a postal clerk. In the 1920s, FitzGerald became the president of the South Side Allied Civic Association and championed the construction of John Adams High School in Ozone Park, Queens. He also successfully opposed the displacement of local residents by the widening of streets.

In 1929, FitzGerald was elected to the State Assembly where he served for nine years.  During his tenure, he actively supported laws that extended the parkways through Queens, earning him the moniker “The Father of Queens Parkways”.  FitzGerald also led a successful campaign to regulate utility companies, saving taxpayers millions of dollars. A staunch supporter of civil service and labor, he sponsored many pro-worker bills, including ones that restricted court injunctions and prohibited contracts that prevented workers from joining unions.

In 1937, FitzGerald was elected Sheriff of Queens and embarked on a vigorous beautification and enforcement campaign for the 1939-1940 World’s Fair. In 1942, he was appointed Borough Public Works Commissioner, a position he held for seven years. FitzGerald was swept into the Queens Borough Presidency on the Democratic ticket with Mayor William O’Dwyer in 1949. Borough President FitzGerald suffered a fatal heart attack in 1951 while vacationing in the Adirondacks, ending a productive career of public service.      

Later that year, the City Council named a new playground for FitzGerald in Ozone Park where he had been a longtime resident. FitzGerald had been instrumental in securing this site as a park and had participated in the groundbreaking ceremonies months before his death.

The playground’s facilities were improved in 1999 with the completion of a capital renovation that included new modular play equipment, a spray shower, benches and sitting areas, along with extensive greening and shrubs. The playground’s design was inspired by FitzGerald’s Irish heritage, and features sheep play sculptures, a “woven” paving pattern, wool-colored concrete, a shepherd’s crook set into the center of the spray area, and plantings of Lamb’s Ear, Sheepberry, and Sheep Laurel.

Directions to Maurice A FitzGerald Playground

Was this information helpful?