Marcus Garvey Park
"MAROONS & SUFFRAGETTES: A GREG TATE TRIBUTE CONCERT CELEBRATING THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF BURNT SUGAR/DANZ A Tate Family program featuring Burnt Sugar/Danz, Burnt Sugar The Arkestra Chamber, Harriet Tubman, Resistance Revival Chorus, Bardo Steppers, and DJ
Saturday, August 20, 2022
6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m.
Programming will kick off at 6:00PM with DJ and a processional.
“Gregory Stephen Ionman Tate (1957-2021), was an amazing son, brother, father, grandfather, uncle, nephew, cousin – a family man in the deepest African sense. A proud Harlem resident, he was also an invaluable friend, a generous mentor to many, and a gentle giant of Black radical thought and creativity. Please join us for this major celebration of Greg’s life and works.”
– The Tate Family
Burnt Sugar/Danz was founded in 2002 by writer/musician/conductor Greg Tate and dancer/choreographer/filmmaker Gabri Christa as a radical melding of Christa’s profound relationship to movement and Tate’s equally rigorous approach to music. The collaboration they formed was rooted in the work of Burnt Sugar The Arkestra Chamber, the sprawling band of virtuosos that Tate founded and co-led – a multi-generational ensemble inspired by Butch Morris’ CONDUCTION system for improvising orchestras. Burnt Sugar/Danz, which made its debut at SummerStage in Central Park that same year, draws upon the cream of the crop in New York City’s music, choreographic, and dance-performance talent to create innovative, never-before-seen works, live, and in real time. Adopting Morris’ baton gestures and hand-sign vocabulary to dance, Burnt Sugar/Danz presents an alchemical blend of spontaneously composed music and choreography. This 20th-anniversary celebration, held in tribute to Tate, includes guest appearances by Harriet Tubman, the avant power trio known for its deep fusion of soul, rock, and jazz; the Resistance Revival Chorus, a collective of more than 60 women and non-binary singers; the Bardo Steppers, a deep-funk second-line procession of drums and horns led by bassist Melvin Gibbs; and DJ Reborn, a trailblazing international DJ, sound collage artist, and arts educator, also the resident DJ for Ms. Lauryn Hill’s world tour and the founder of DJs for Justice.
This performance by Resistance Revival Chorus for SummerStage is supported by the Omomuki Foundation.
Create an Account
If this is your first time registering for a program, please Create an Account.
Directions to Marcus Garvey Park
- NYC PARKS CELEBRATES RESTORATION OF HISTORIC MOUNT MORRIS FIRE WATCHTOWER IN MARCUS GARVEY PARK
- NYC PARKS PARTNERS WITH FACEBOOK’S ARTIST IN RESIDENCE PROGRAM TO CREATE COLORFUL COMMUNITY MURALS ON TWO MANHATTAN BASKETBALL COURTS
- Walk It Out! Trail Dedicated At Marcus Garvey Park
- Movies Under The Stars: Judas and the Black Messiah & Soul Train
- The Last Poets with Jamaaladeen Tacuma's Band of Resistance / Impact Repertory Theatre / The Harlem Bomb Shelter / DJ Greg Caz
- OMAR Edwards | Tap Master / LaTasha Barnes: Excerpts from the Jazz Conintuum
- "MAROONS & SUFFRAGETTES: A GREG TATE TRIBUTE CONCERT CELEBRATING THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF BURNT SUGAR/DANZ A Tate Family program featuring Burnt Sugar/Danz, Burnt Sugar The Arkestra Chamber, Harriet Tubman, Resistance Revival Chorus, Bardo Steppers, and DJ
- Red Alert & friends featuring Case and Will Traxx