Marcus Garvey Park
The Last Poets with Jamaaladeen Tacuma's Band of Resistance / Impact Repertory Theatre / The Harlem Bomb Shelter / DJ Greg Caz
Thursday, August 18, 2022
6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m.
In Association with Jazzmobile and Soho Radio
The Last Poets are the forefathers of hip-hop, wielding poetry’s rhythmic and political power years before the first MC picked up a mic to move a crowd dancing to breakbeats. They formed in 1968 on Malcolm X’s birthday in Harlem as just three poets and a drummer, drawing their name from South African poet “Little Willie” Kgostile, who declared his era to be the last age of poets before the complete takeover of guns. After their self-titled debut cracked the US pop charts, they were targeted—along with other political agitators—by the FBI’s COINTELPRO, but continued to influence culture at the margins, releasing more than a dozen albums and inspiring and collaborating with multiple generations of hip-hop artists. Their current lineup includes Umar Bin Hassan, Baba Don, and founding member Abiodun Oyewole. The IMPACT Repertory Theatre draws from the Harlem-based program for 12-19 year olds that uses performing arts and leadership training to empower underserved New York City youth, creating a safe space for young people to explore the issues they face through current events and their own personal experience. Harlem’s Bomb Shelter is a monthly retreat for young adult poets to unplug from every day life and express their experiences, thoughts, and ideas through poetry, song, and spoken word. SummerStage alum Greg Caz, a diehard Last Poets fan and record collector, DJs.
Create an Account
If this is your first time registering for a program, please Create an Account.
Directions to Marcus Garvey Park
- NYC PARKS CELEBRATES RESTORATION OF HISTORIC MOUNT MORRIS FIRE WATCHTOWER IN MARCUS GARVEY PARK
- NYC PARKS PARTNERS WITH FACEBOOK’S ARTIST IN RESIDENCE PROGRAM TO CREATE COLORFUL COMMUNITY MURALS ON TWO MANHATTAN BASKETBALL COURTS
- Walk It Out! Trail Dedicated At Marcus Garvey Park
- Movies Under The Stars: Judas and the Black Messiah & Soul Train
- The Last Poets with Jamaaladeen Tacuma's Band of Resistance / Impact Repertory Theatre / The Harlem Bomb Shelter / DJ Greg Caz
- OMAR Edwards | Tap Master / LaTasha Barnes: Excerpts from the Jazz Conintuum
- "MAROONS & SUFFRAGETTES: A GREG TATE TRIBUTE CONCERT CELEBRATING THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF BURNT SUGAR/DANZ A Tate Family program featuring Burnt Sugar/Danz, Burnt Sugar The Arkestra Chamber, Harriet Tubman, Resistance Revival Chorus, Bardo Steppers, and DJ
- Red Alert & friends featuring Case and Will Traxx